Google has recently released the next version of Android on the eve of Full Solar Eclipse which occurred on August 21 in the US. Google also revealed the name of the latest version of Android and it has been named as Android Oreo. Although the update to the next version of Android has been rolled out for Google-branded smartphones, the update is yet to reach the other non-Google devices and the update is very likely to come to other smartphones in late 2017 or on early 2018.
The good news is that the custom ROM developers have already started to work on developing the Android 8.0 Oreo based ROMs for the several devices in the market that have a good user base. One such device is ASUS Zenfone 5 which was released by the company some time ago. Now, the smartphone has received the first custom ROM and this ROM is based on Android 8.0 Oreo which makes it one of the first smartphones to receive Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM.
Talking about the ROM, the Android 8.0 Oreo based ROM is in the alpha stage which suggests that there should be lots of bugs and it should not be used as a daily driver. However, if you want to have the latest version of Android then you can try the ROM.
Some Known Bugs
- The Audio is currently not working if you flash this ROM
- Media does not work currently
- RIL(Radio Interface Layer) is also not working
- Various Sensors like Proximity etc. on the device will not work as well after flashing the ROM
- The Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the device are known to be working after flashing this ROM but the other bugs will be fixed in the later updates as well.
- Download and install Minimal ADB and fastboot drivers.
- Make sure that USB Debugging and OEM Unlock is enabled on your device. If you are not sure how to do this then you can follow this guide.
- Make sure to take a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader will erase each data on your phone which can not be recovered later.
- Make sure to charge your device to more than or at least 60% battery before continuing with this procedure.
- Download the Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM for the ASUS Zenfone 5 and transfer it to the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder | Download it here
- Download Oreo GApps
Steps to Install Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM on ASUS Zenfone 5
- First of all, you will need to navigate to the ADB installation folder which was downloaded from the Prerequisites section. If you did not change it during the installation, the path is usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- In this folder, you will have to right-click on an empty space while holding down the Shift key. Alternatively, you can type cmd in the address bar and hit enter.
- After this, you need to connect your smartphone to the PC via a USB cable
- In the ADB command window, type the following command to boot your ASUS Zenfone 5 into the fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- After this, you can verify that your device has been connected in the fastboot mode by typing the following command
Note: If this returns alpha-numeric number with fastboot besides it then you are certain that your device is connected in fastboot mode.
- After performing the above step, you have to type the following command and hit Enter.
fastboot erase userdata fastboot erase cache fastboot flash system system.img fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot reboot
Note: You can type the following commands one by one or you can also copy the whole command and paste it once
- After this, your device will reboot and you will have the Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM on your Asus Zenfone 5.
Make sure to follow all the steps mentioned in this guide properly to have a smooth installation process. Remember that since this ROM is still in Alpha stages, you might be facing certain issues that are listed above. Anyways, enjoy the taste of Oreo.