Android’s latest version, Android 8.0 Oreo has been released recently by Google and the company has also announced that the OTA for the latest update has started to roll out for the Pixel and Nexus devices. However, we have known that the Android 8.0 Oreo update would take at least 6 months or more to come to most of the devices around the world other than the Pixel and Nexus devices so custom ROMs is the best option to get the latest update quickly. Now, one XDA developer has ported the Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3.
Now, in order to get the latest update on your device then you have to unlock the bootloader on your phone and install TWRP custom recovery so that you can get root access to your phone. If you are willing to do this then we have mentioned all the instructions to install Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM on your Redmi Note 3. We would also like to mention that this is an early development build and bugs are expected which we have mentioned down below.
- USB tether
- Download Android 8.0 AOSP ROM for Redmi Note 3 – Download
- Android 8.0 Gapps For Redmi Note 3 – Download (Optional)
Note: GApps are included in AOSP ROMs so you do not need to install them seperately
- SuperSu for Redmi Note 3 – Download (Optional)
Note: SuperSU is needed for gaining root access on your device which is not mandatory
Steps to install Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM on your Redmi Note 3
- Make sure to download all the files mentioned in the Downloads section to proceed
- After that, boot your device into Recovery mode by pressing Volume Down+Power Button. Make sure to hold it for 4-5 seconds until you see TWRP logo
- In TWRP, wipe all the data and factory reset the smartphone. Also, you should take a backup of your device just in case anything goes south
- Now, flash the AOSP ROM zip file first and then GApps zip (optional) and your installation of AOSP ROM is complete.
- Reboot your phone now and complete the setup process
In case you have followed all the steps properly and you are not able to install the ROM then you can comment with your queries down below.