Google has already made Android O update available for Google Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones along with the Pixel C tablet from 2015. The latest version is being rolled out as OTA update in a phased manner. Since Android Oreo announcement, several handset makers have already announced update timelines for their respective devices. Google’s latest mobile operating system Android Oreo 8.0 update aims to improve security while adds new features. Some of the popular Android 8.0 Oreo features listed by Google include faster boot times, Notification dots, auto fill and smart text selection, redesigned Settings, revamped Google Now, and Picture in Picture mode among others.
Android 8.0 Oreo is only available for a handful of devices as of now and unfortunately, the Nexus 6 is not one of them. However, if you want to run this latest version of Android on a Nexus 6 smartphone, then it possible now, thanks to SIXROM. The LineagOS 15.0 ROM is based on the latest version of Android i.e. Android 8.0 Oreo and is now available for download and installation.
Do make a note that this is an unofficial update and hence, a few bugs are expected. With that said, if you are still willing to take the chance and try it out, then download the ROM file as well as other pre-requisites from the link given below and also follow the installation guide that follows.
thedroidguru.com is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, Proceed at your own risk.
- You might be aware that during flashing of ROMs, all the data gets completely wiped out. So, take a full backup of your device data before proceeding.
- Charge your device so that it should have at least 50% of battery charge.
- Your device must be rooted. It must also have TWRP installed.
You can download the SIXROM for Nexus 6 in the above-mentioned link and proceed further.
How to Install SIXROM On Nexus 6 Based On Android 8.0 Oreo
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file that you downloaded above to your Nexus 6.
- Boot your Nexus 6 into TWRP recovery. (Power off your device and reboot it to the TWRP recovery by holding the power and volume buttons for 4-5 seconds till your device boots into the recovery menu
- Then take a nandroid backup of your current ROM, check Pre-Requirement section for this
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Now, in order to install the custom ROM via TWRP, you should follow the guide attached below
- After flashing the ROM, flash the GApps pack and Magisk in the same way as the ROM installation
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your Nexus 6.