Google has started rolling out the second version of Android 8.1 Oreo Developer Preview for Nexus and Pixel devices. The build number of this Android 8.1 Developer Preview 2 is OPP6.171019.012, and the factory images are available for installation on supported devices. There are various minor fixes and new features for better user experience. You can watch out for the changes on the detailed changelog available on the official site.
The OTA update is available for supported devices only. The devices are Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Pixel C, Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, and Nexus Player. If you have any of these devices, you can check for Android 8.1 Oreo OPP6.171019.012 DP2 firmware OTA update by going to Settings > About Device> System Updates. If the OTA update is available, you can go ahead and take it. In case you have not received it yet, you can download the factory image and flash it on your devices provided it is in the list of supported devices.
- Your device must have at least 70% of battery charge.
- Your device bootloader must be unlocked.
- You should take a complete backup of device data because everything will be wiped out completely.
- The USB driver of your device must be installed on your PC.
- Your PC must have ADB and Fastboot installed.
Your device may get damaged if you perform the following steps wrong by mistake. If your device is not supported, it can also get bricked. We will not be responsible for any such damaged, and hence, you should proceed at your own risk.
- Pixel C: ryu-opp6.171019.012-factory-dd6d1cd6.zip
- Nexus 5X: bullhead-opp6.171019.012-factory-65b5b35c.zip
- Nexus 6P: angler-opp6.171019.012-factory-1576678d.zip
- Google Pixel: sailfish-opp6.171019.012-factory-763ba8ed.zip | Pixel XL: marlin-opp6.171019.012-factory-5468ee33.zip
- Google Pixel 2: walleye-opp6.171019.012-factory-c21aa05c.zip | Pixel 2 XL: taimen-opp6.171019.012-factory-2e1202ea.zip
Steps To Install Android 8.1 Developer Preview 2 On Supported Pixel and Nexus Devices
Step 1. Download the factory image on your PC and extract it in a specific folder.
Step 2. Reboot the device in fastboot/bootloader mode by pressing Volume Down and Power buttons together until the boot screen appears.
Step 3. Connect your device to your PC in bootloader mode.
Step 4. Go to the extracted folder of the factory image and run the file ‘flash-all.bat’.
The installation will start automatically. It will take some time for it to get completed. Once done, the device will reboot automatically. Then you can disconnect your device and start enjoying the new features of Android 8.1 Oreo Developer Preview 2.