Robotics is a branch of engineering and science which is a culmination of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, and others. Robotics deals with the design, construction, operation, and use of robots, as well as computer systems for their control, sensory feedback, and information processing. There are colleges which offer specialized degree in robotics and we can find majority of colleges offering robotics degree among Top 100 engineering colleges in India. A computer can do some things better than a human can
- Adding a thousand four-digit numbers
- Drawing complex, 3D images
- Store and retrieve massive amounts of data
However, there are things humans can do much better. A computer would have difficulty identifying the cat, or matching it to another picture of a cat. One important aspect of robotics Artificial Intelligence, it is the study of computer systems that attempt to model and apply the intelligence of the human. What is Intelligence Why is it that we assume humans are intelligent? Are monkeys intelligent? Dogs? Ants? Pine trees?
There are numerous Robotics companies across India which offers Robotic Solutions and Automation in various firms in India and most of the companies have their branches located at metro cities such as Bengaluru, Mumbai and Hyderabad. Various student’s mainly from the Top 100 Engineering colleges in Hyderabad, and various other cities get jobs through On Campus Placements.
A Test known as Turing test was developed by Alan Turing, a test to empirically determine whether a computer has achieved intelligence. The standard interpretation of the Turing Test involves the player C, the interrogator. The player C is given the task of trying to determine which player, either A or B, is a computer and which is a human. The interrogator is limited to using the responses to written questions to make the determination.
Basic components of a Robot Include:
- All Robots have some kind of mechanical construction – a frame, form or shape designed to achieve a particular task – such as wheels, structure, end effectors.
- Robots have electrical components which control and device the machinery. These include Logical Controllers, Sensors etc.
- All robots contain computer programming code. A program is how a robot decides when or how to do something. The Programming language used can be different based on the user.
Robotics Find Applications across several Industries such as Nano robots, Swarm robotics, Medical robots, Household robots, Domestic robots, Agricultural robots, Robot combat for sport, Robots in manufacturing, Military robots, Humanoid robots etc. Every Intelligent robot are made to follow the 4 basic laws put forward by Isaac Asimov,
- A robot may not harm humanity, or by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
- A robot may not injure a human being either through inaction or allow a human being to come to harm. This is with the exception when it is required to do so in order to prevent greater harm to humanity itself.
- A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings. This does not include such orders which would conflict with the First Law or cause greater harm to humanity itself.
- A robot must protect its own existence for as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law or cause greater harm to humanity itself.